10.26.2010

They Seek Him Here, They Seek Him There

I was looking for a movie to rent over the weekend when I hit upon the fantastic idea of renting The Scarlet Pimpernel (we are reading this book for book group this month). Sadly the good versions (i.e. the versions with Jane Seymour or Leslie Howard) were all checked out. However, I did notice a version I had never heard of before done by A&E and thought to myself maybe "I'll give that at try--after all it was A&E that gave me Horatio Hornblower." Sadly, this version of The Scarlet Pimpernel was no Horatio Hornblower. I made it through all of 30 minutes before I just couldn't stand it any longer. Fortunately, my good mother owns a copy of the Jane Seymour version so I have nearly driven the horrible images from the A&E version from my mind. Of course this all does leave me with a bit of a problem: I am having a difficult time differentiating between the various movies and the book. At this point I could probably do a better job commenting on the movies than I could on the book--which is not too bad of an idea as this may be the only book in existence that far prefer the movie to the book. And really, can you blame me when the movie gives me about two hours of anthony Andrews?

I did quite valiantly look for a picture of Anthony Andrews (you know, to liven up this post) to insert here but none of them quite do him justice so you'll just need to get your fix by watching the movie. Sorry, but I imagine you'll live--or at least die quite happy.

2 comments:

Nemesis said...

Did I ever tell you about this one time when I got to see Anthony Andrews play Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady?

It was awesome, especially since he'd been my imaginary bf ever since I saw The Scarlet Pimpernel at the age of 8.

Also? He's going to be in that King's Speech movie. Blink and you'll miss him in the trailer, but he is in there!

And yes, the A&E version of SP is awful (my love for Richard E. Grant notwithstanding) and I try to discourage people from watching it.

Courtney said...

Nemesis--I hate you (with lots of love).