4.09.2010

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I don't have any time today (happily occupied with a very good book) so I just thought I would check in to let you know that I am quite possibly the best aunt in the world and have recently nearly qualified for sainthood.

How did all of this come about?

Baseball

Early this week marked the beginning of the regular season and I couldn't be happier. Wednesday evening I sat down to enjoy a little Wednesday Night Baseball as my beloved Yankees took on those Red Sox when my 3-year-old niece decided she wanted to watch with me. I sat her down, scrounged up a pencil and some paper, and then proceeded to teach her some of the basics of keeping a scorecard (something I love beyond measure). She sat with me for nearly an hour as I kept her pencil off of my scorecard, distracted her when she asked to watch ice skating instead, and patiently reacted as she shoved books in front of me that she thought might be more interesting than baseball.

None of this, however, qualifies me for that sainthood I referred to earlier. No, all of this is just expected good behavior for an aunt who loves her niece (also beyond measure). The sainthood comes when I, a die-hard Yankees fan, patiently taught my niece how to cheer for her beloved Red Sox. If that doesn't qualify one for sainthood I really don't know what does.

Here is a look at our scorecards (you'll please note that the Yankees won):

4 comments:

Jen said...

Yes, you should be named aunt of the year! That was very big of you. And I'm sure it was very hard!

Unknown said...

I'm hurt!
With your history, HOW? could you be a Yankees fan?!?...
(I will still be your friend)

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Which book?

Courtney said...

Book three in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. So incredible. I'll do a post.