8.06.2008

What I'm Reading

It is a classic. One of my little two-year-old nieces is in the process of potty training and every time I see her now she pats to a spot next to her, commands me to "sit," and then asks me to read Everyone Poops. While reading it she insists on screaming out the word poop every time there is a picture of poop--not a book to read in public.

On a more adult level I've just finished reading Atonement by Ian McEwan which I absolutely loved. The writing is so rich and real and enticing that I literally couldn't put it down until I finished it (last night around 2 am). As far as recommending it generally I will say that there is one sex scene (easily scanned through if you want to) and about 15 swear words in the book that make it about a PG-13 but I'm handing it on to my mother to read so obviously I didn't think it was too bad--though I might not be suggesting to read it at my old-ladies book club although this would be a great book for a book club. This one is definitely going on my top 10 favorite books list that I haven't actually created yet.

Possible Top 10 (in no particular order)

1. Pride and Prejudice
2. Persuasion
3. Atonement
4. A Tale of Two Cities
5. P.S. I Love You (maybe I need to re-read that one to be sure it was a top 10)
6. Bridget Jones's Diary
7. Dandelion Wine
8. To Kill a Mockingbird
9. The Eyre Affair
10. Possession (this is another maybe to read again)

It was actually kind of hard to come up with that list because I generally like most of the books that I read--thanks to some very good suggestion from some very smart people.

What's next on my to-read list? The Road by Cormac McCarthy. A bit gruesome I know but I'm going to follow it up with Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier (I'm just loving her right now--thanks Science Teacher Mommy).

I'd love to know what books are on your top 10 list.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I always say I love to read but I honestly can't tell you what book I read last. Shame on me! I don't want to spend time reading a book that I might not enjoy. Maybe I should pick one from your list of favorites. Thanks!

N.F. said...

I want to read Atonement, too. But, apparently, I MUST finish Twilight to get on the Breaking Dawn bandwagon!

:)

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Don't pick up Son of the Shadows unless you've got a stretch of several hours ahead of you. I think I read it in one sitting the first time. And the fifth time. I'm always torn about whether I like it or the first better. It really is a toss up for me.

My list(ish)

1. Pride and Predjudice. (The next nine will all get a #2: everything comes in second to P & P and there is no real order for anything else.)

2. Heart of Darkness
2. Cry the Beloved Country
2. Grapes of Wrath
2. Ender's Game
2. Wrinkle in Time
2. Harry Potter (all awesome and exceptionally well-written, #7 my favorite)
2. The Blue Sword
2. Sevenwaters Trilogy (see opening comment. I. Can't. Choose. One.)
2. Princess Bride
2. Walk Two Moons
2. Jane Eyre
2. Anne of Green Gables
2. Little House on the Prairie. . .

Oops. I guess I don't really count that well. Many of the books on the above list I read before age 18, and I love them because they had so much impact on who I eventually became. I still love young adult lit the best because of its thematic emphasis on coming of age, which is fascinating to me. Okay, I'll stop now . . .

Courtney said...

nf--finish Twilight then move onto Atonement.

STV--I'm starting Son of Shadows against your advice and will be trying to read it during commercial breaks during the Olympics--and maybe during the more boring sports as well.

I love your list and it has some books on it that I haven't read (like Princess Bride). I nearly put Anne of Green Gables on my list but then decided not to because it holds more value to me as nostalgia than as writing so maybe what I need several different lists and on my nostalgia list I could put books like Anne and Little House on the Prarie.

Kimberly said...

Everyone Poops!! I sent that to Neil while he was on his mission. :) His companion thought it was inappropriate, but Neil loved it.