5.12.2009

Are You Ready?


318 new laws go into effect today. Not sure how we are supposed to keep track of all of these plus all the laws that were previously on the books, but here are a few laws you may want to be aware of:

1. You can no longer text or e-mail while driving (in Utah) unless it is an emergency and doing so with cost you your driving license for 3 months. Sadly it is still legal to talk on your cell phone.

2. All voters must show picture ID at the polls. This one seems like a no brainer and something I have wondered about because really what keeps someone from walking into my precinct seeing my name on the list at the front door and then walking up and declaring that they are me (other than the fact that my Aunt does the signing in at my precinct)? I'm trying to think of whether this law is discriminating against anyone, but it does seem reasonable.

3. Lt. Gov. Gary Herbert can now perform marriages. Not sure if it is Gary Herbert who can now perform marriages or the Lt. Gov., who currently happens to be Gary Herbert, who can now perform marriages.

4. Regular people can't give drugs to wildlife.

5. You can now legally homebrew up to 100 gallons of beer or wine a year without a state licence.

6. You can carry a loaded handgun in your car, and you can take a handgun onto your employer's parking lot in your car, even if the employer has a no-gun policy for his property. This one disturbs me, particularly the last half of it.

Well there are just a few. You may want to go look up the rest just so that you can be sure that you are not a law breaker.


image: Salem News

1 comment:

Jen said...

I got a text this morning from a friend informing me about the new texting law. I couldn't help but wonder if it was sent while driving. That is really dangerous, but I know teenagers who can text with their hands in their purse during class. How are they going to enforce it? And I'm really bummed that I can no longer legally administer drugs to the local wildlife. What is the world coming to?