1.07.2009

Resolutions for 2009

Last year I stole most of my resolutions from Bridget Jones's Diary which consisted of 6 things I would not do and 8 things I would do. Then just to round it out I added 5 more things of a more spiritual things to the to do list. Then I promised to report on my resolutions on a monthly basis. Well things went really well for me as far as reporting until about June and then I kept forgetting to do it at the beginning of the month and began promising myself that I would for sure report next month. The good thing, though, is that even though I wasn't reporting to you I was still working on my resolutions and in the end did quite well on most of them.

So now it is that time of year to once again sit down and resolve to do something or to stop doing something. Just for fun I decided not to blatantly steal of this year's resolutions from a drunk fictional character.

I Will:

1. write in my Journal more. This is a carry over from last year (I just never managed to really get in the habit) and really I shouldn't use the word more but come up with a specific number of days a week, but...well I don't want to force myself to write something when I don't really have anything to say. Rather, I want to create the time and space each day to write if I happen to have something to say. I want my journal to be a place of joy and relief not a chore. Will have to think further about how to do this.

2. drink 6 cups of water a day. I believe I'm supposed to drink more than that, but I have been a very bad water drinker of late and need to start slow.

3. read more non-fiction. There is that word 'more' again. I think I only read 4 non-fiction books last year and I am not pleased about that. The thing is, though, I get lots of fiction suggestions and not so many non-fiction suggestions. So please suggest away. This year I want to read 12 non-fiction books.

4. attend the temple at least twice a month.

5. make my bed every day. I don't know why this 30 second chore is so difficult for me but it is.


I Will Not:

1. neglect my blog for two weeks--1 week and 6 days, ok, but not 2 weeks!

2. not turn on the tv without purpose. This is when the tv sucks me into its evil world. If I turn on the tv to watch a show I usually watch that show and that is it. If I turn the tv on because I'm bored I tend to watch for hours and hours--and not necessarily watch quality tv for those hours. This must stop.

3. not start a crossword or read the funny pages before I read the front page of the newspaper.

4. not weigh myself. I do not need a scale to tell me when I've gained or lost, when I'm exercising or not, or when I'm eating better or not. In short I do not need a scale to tell me when I am healthy. Healthy is best measured in other ways and so I hereby swear off scales--and already I feel lighter.

So there they are. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should try the resolutionary challenge! It's a list of the things we're already trying to do, and it's rewarding! You can find it at http://www.daretodream.typepad.com/
Good luck with your list!