2.19.2009

My Oscar Picks

Remember back a few months ago when I wrote about how much I enjoyed the movie "Australia?" And how I thought it might get an Oscar nod and that Nicole Kidman should get some consideration for an Oscar as well? Only as it turns out the movie didn't get much of a nod and Kidman is embarrassed by her performance. Keeping all of this in mind, here are my Oscar picks:

Actor in a leading role: Frank Langella (it will probably be Mickey Rourke but on account of his general inability to put words together and his apparent need to publicly grope women giving him awards I just can't bring myself to vote for him)

Actor in a supporting role: Heath Ledger

Actress in a leading role: Kate Winslet

Actress in a supporting role: Penelope Cruz

Animated feature film: WALL-E

Art Direction: Revolutionary Road

Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire

Costume Design: Australia (I just had to vote for it)

Directing: Slumdog Millionaire

Documentary feature: The Betrayal

Documentary short: Smile Pinki

Film Editing: The Dark Knight (cause just maybe Slumdog won't win it all)

Foreign Language Film: Departures

Makeup: The Dark Knight

Music (Score): Defiance

Music (Song): "Down to Earth" WALL-E

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire

Short Film (animated): This Way Up

Short Film (live action): Spielzeugland

Sound Editing: Iron Man

Sound Mixing: WALL-E

Visual Effects: Iron Man

Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Slumdog Millionaire

Writing (Original Screenplay): In Bruges

One other reason not to trust my picks too much: I've only seen 4 of these movies: Australia, Kung Fu Panda (all though I don't think I saw the entire movie), The Dark Knight, and Iron Man.

What/Who are some of your picks?

No comments: