2.27.2009

No Sissy Girls Here


The Mia Maids (the young women's group I work with in Church ages 14-16) went rock climbing this week. It was a ton of fun even though I was at the bottom belaying (is that right?) everyone--caught every one of them when they fell! I hadn't planned on climbing from the beginning because I suffer from a fear of heights, but as the evening wore on I began to get tempted. I didn't actually succumb to temptation because I was wearing jeans that would have made climbing difficult and if I was going to break down after getting 5 feet off the ground I didn't want to do it in front of the girls. But I'm definitely thinking that at some time in the future I might just want to give it a try. Does anyone out there rock climb? Do you have tips for rock climbing with a fear of heights?

All of our activities next month revolve around wedding stuff (the younger girls (12-14) somehow ended up in charge of nearly the month of activities and that is what they picked). Our rock climbing girls didn't seem quite so interested in the ideas but we shall see.

5 comments:

Kirk C. said...

I have a fear of heights as well, but when I go rock climbing, I am so focused on what I am doing while climbing that I don't even notice how high I am. It's after you are done and you have to rappel down the wall is when it's bad for me.

Unknown said...

The next step is UP! You must be a totally ROCKin leader :)
Google rock-climbing destination weddings, and see if that perks your rock climbers' interest in the wedding stuff. It could be a win-win! Why are 12/13 years olds so enamored with weddings anyway?

Janel said...

Rob climbs and is talking about getting a pass to the gym in Provo, he wants me to get one to but I think I'll stay with cycling. In the summer we can go climbing out side away from everyone and you can try in then if you want.

Natalie said...

I have no advice on rock climbing because I am a big chicken! I don't really have a fear of heights but I have a fear of falling!

Jen said...

I don't think I have a fear of heights but then looking at that picture makes me reconsider. I think I'd be o.k. inside but outside might be a totally different experience. I bet you love YW's. And did you get your hair cut?