12.12.2007

Dish Rags

Dish rags for everyone. Last night, in a small attempt on my part to break through the isolation of serving in the nursery, I attended a Relief Society crochet class. These classes (or get togethers) will take place once a month with fun new patterns each month. I must admit that when I first found out that we would be making dish rags this month I was not thrilled by the notion. I mean, I can purchase them cheaper already complete than I can by purchasing the materials and spending my time making them. But I figured that it was a good first step in learning how to crochet. I was the first to arrive (and I was 10 minutes late) and didn't have the correct materials (not my fault--being isolated in nursery no one told me until it was too late that the list of supplies had changed from what was originally announced) but it all worked out thanks to some lovely sisters in my ward. One funny near-mishap nearly occurred when I was asked how much experience I had and I was on the cusp of replying that I was a crochet virgin, but one look at the woman that asked me and I knew that kind of a comment would not be appreciated. I was the youngest one there by about 20 years so I can't exactly say that the evening was roaring fun, but it was enjoyable. Much of the conversation of the evening revolved around female operations (by which I believe they meant hysterectomies) and people who had died and were perhaps in the process of dying. At one point one of the sweet women mentioned that I was very quiet and while I wanted to point out that I don't really have any experience with hysterectomies, I merely claimed that I need to concentrate or I would lose what I was doing--which wasn't a lie. I think next time, though, I will try to recruit someone a bit closer to my age. So who wants a dish rag?

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Ok your post was totally cracking me up. I dare you to say you are a crochet virgin next time!

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney said...

The whole evening I kept thinking this will be great for my blog--that is actually an interesting thought. Are bad things in today's blogging world not as bad as they used to seem because we can now take comfort in being able to get a great blog out of the experience? I may need to blog about this sometime.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I'd love to come with you next time. My grandmother makes these for all of us every year for Christmas (she has so many married g-kids now that it is all she can afford to do) and I look forward to them. I think they hold up better, are more absorbent, and pick up more gunk than the regular kind. Besides, it is a bit of grandma love every day.

Courtney said...

STM--you are so welcome any time. I was thinking that they did seem more durable (the example ones, not the one I was working on) and I completely understand the emotional attachment you would feel with it coming from your grandmother. I much prefer sentimental gifts from grandmothers over some store-bought thing.

Courtney said...

Also, I would like to add that I did have fun and look forward to going again next month. My comment above about bad things not being as bad cause we can blog about them was meant as tongue and cheek as far as this post is concerned.

Kimberly said...

I so wish I lived closer to you. We could be crochet virgins together!! (Okay -so that isn't totally fair. I got mixed up in crochet in middle school. But I have since repented, so I feel like a virgin again.)

Courtney said...

Kimberly--I have totally heard about you new virgins or re-born virgins. I wish youlived closer too.