10.17.2008

Name That Party

I was recently reading through my state's Voter Information Pamphlet in an attempt to educate myself on the issues and individuals I will be voting for or against in just a few weeks. In the process of this I've come up with a brand new game for us to play: Name that Party. The rules are simple. Simply read through the following paragraph submitted by an individual running for office in my state and then guess his/her political party.

"As a Journalist, (BS Broadcast Journalism) a Teacher (MS International Relations) and a ******** with conservative values, I believe in fiscal discipline and a strong military. I oppose abortion, and believe that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. We must stop illegal immigration at the border and protect American jobs. Combating global arming and moving America towards greater energy independence is vital. America must win the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and bring our troops home. I firmly support the right of Americans to bear arms. Together we can bring responsible government and moral leadership to ****.

Answer:

Did you guess it? He is a Democrat. More specifically, he is Bennion L. Spencer. Only in Utah and perhaps Idaho would you find such a description for a Democrat. Sadly, this will probably be yet another candidate I vote for who will not win---can't vote for the Republican (even if I wanted to) who believes "global warming is a farce" even if he did kick a game winning field goal for BYU in a Holiday Bowl (still wondering how that kick qualifies him for office but apparently it does).

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Hah! I love it. Our Republican Senator (and Mormon)here has had to repaint himself as a middle of the road guy to be in the running. I actually quite like him. Incidentally, his platform makes him MORE liberal than your Democrat.

chosha said...

One of the biggest shocks of my life was finding out that Utah Mormons are mostly Republican. I'd always thought of the Republican platform as un-Christian. If that guy is a Democrat, I shudder to think how the blurbs for the Republicans read. Scary.