10.07.2008

Trying to Catch Up

I have been a bit of a recluse lately as I have been trying to get my to-read list under some sort of control. It is still about 6 books tall but it is getting better. Sadly because I keep adding books to the top of my to-read stack rather than the bottom much of what is still left to read was in my original stack several months ago. Anyway, in case you are interested here is what I have read in the last couple of weeks:

I Heard the Owl Call My Name by Margaret Craven. I loved this book (it made me cry) and highly recommend it if you are looking for a quick read with a bit heft to it (culture clashes).

A Job to Kill For by Janice Kaplan. Hated It. Got the recommend from Parade magazine only Parade magazine failed to tell me that Kaplan is/was a Parade editor--very unprofessional.

Illegal Action by Stella Rimington. Decent enough spy novel (a light read) where the main character is female (yay!) but I hated the last two chapters and that just ruined it all for me.

An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aiden. As I have already mentioned I quite enjoyed this book.

Moving to Higher Ground by Wynton Marsalis. Loved this book on Jazz music and the things that Jazz music teach and embrace: self expression, respect for others, etc.

Jazz by Toni Morrison. Still trying to decide if I liked this one--not very accessible but well written.

The Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver. Reminded me of Dean Koontz only Koontz is much better. Not a good sign when you are sad that the author didn't kill off the main characters.

Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs. With lines like "personality of a blocked nostril" and "hair the color of apricot jam" I started off really liking Reichs' writing style. About halfway through I became annoyed with her constant cliff hangers. Over all I would try her again but I didn't love it.

The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst. I've just started this one but I like it so far.

If I can be this good for the next two weeks I may just gain a victory over the to-read list!

3 comments:

N.F. said...

Boy...you are sure my idol!

Jillian said...

Wow, you've been reading a lot! Good luck on finishing your list.

Natalie said...

Geez. I can't finish the ONE book I have been trying to read. Although its The Host and it is like 600 pages and I've heard the first 100 are pretty slow, which is why I am about to page 40. :) But some of these look really interesting, so maybe I should get a move on so I can read one or more of these that you so kindly reviewed for us!