11.05.2008

The Day After

He really is a very good speaker.

I was feeling a little bit revolutionary yesterday--you know in a nonviolent revolutionary way--and thought yesterday was just about the most exciting, amazing day. I loved how engaged everyone from all sides of every issue were and I hope that we will all carry on with that involvement through the next four years regardless of who we voted for. Like President-elect Obama said in his speech last night it will take all of us working from the bottom up--and that doesn't mean that we have to agree with each other just that we have to be talking and working. We have for far too long sat back and left it to the politicians to make major decisions for our country and I don't think there are many people who would try to argue that that has left us in a good place. So let's continue the discussion.

And how amazing is it that we have finally voted an African-American into office. It just feels like there are so many more possibilities and good things in store for a country that, after all that we have been through and done, can finally make that leap forward. I so wish that I had been in one of those locations around the country who gathered in the streets to celebrate. True, I could have held my own celebration outside my house but there are a few limits to my political activism and lasts night's limit was very cold sleet.

And finally, how lucky are we to live in a democracy that works. Where we can vote without fear of violence or imprisonment; where riots don't occur in reaction to election results; and where a losing candidate bows out gracefully. I am so proud of us and am a bit giddy that in this we can stand as a beacon of democracy and hope for the world.

Also, wouldn't it be wonderful if all elections captured the nations attention so thoroughly?--only next time lets get our attention captured by a shorter campaign. (I just don't understand the 40% of people who didn't even vote.)

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Natalie said...

I second your comments. I don't think I realized what an African-American president would mean to me personally until I was explaining it to my 7 year old daughter today. I realized that I had never talked with her about racism. I was brought to tears as I explained to her that there was a time when a man like Barak Obama would have been made to drink from different water fountains, sit in the back of the busses, etc. As I looked into her eyes, she seemed stunned that people would treat each other that way. Not only am I grateful that she was incapable of understanding the feelings behind racism, I am glad that this gave me the opportunity to talk to her about it. We talked about how although a woman had never been president, it is still possible. I was able to say this to her and believe it myself! While I am realistic about politics-and recognize that Barak Obama isn't a magician, I am full of hope! I haven't felt hope for our country in a long time.