1.23.2008

Google Searches

So one of my favorite things to do with my blog right now is to click on my site meter (at the bottom of my side bar and then look at my visitor's referral information (i.e. look to see how you got to my site). I particularly like to see what Google searches brought people to my site. It is endlessly fascinating to me to scroll over the Google searches to be able to see what words were actually typed in that brought up my site as a source. It has also been a bit surprisings. For instances, you wouldn't think that crocheted dish rags would be a popular search (and maybe it isn't) but I have had about 5 people visit my site since I wrote about learning to make one in December (sadly I doubt my site was what they were looking for). Another popular search is Rupert Penry-Jones of course.
Searches for nursery or sunbeam lesson ideas has been on of the most popular searches bringing people in--glad to know that I'm not the only one needing some help. One surprising search that brought people to my site is Gillian Anderson--and I must thank all those Gillian Anderson fans who visited my site and didn't leave nasty remarks despite my less-than-flattering remarks about her role as Masterpiece spokesperson.
Of course noticing that people are coming to my site based on Google searches also make me very aware of what types of people may visit my site based on what I write about and what they are searching. For instance writing about one of my favorite chefs Jaime Oliver who is often called the Naked Chef could bring a certain element to my site that was wholly unintentional. Another point of this whole Google searching thing is that writing about Gillian Anderson again could bump my viewers up which of course makes me feel more loved and important. But, it obviously isn't the most ideal way of attracting people to my blog or the most interesting way to keep my regular viewers. It is almost an ethical question--only it is not really. In closing, I find it truly shocking that there are no leek searches bringing people to my site.

7 comments:

MBC said...

I love checking my Google search stats! People end up on my blog because they are looking for a)Jane Eyre with Toby Stephens b)freerice.com c) the story about the frog in the pot of water. I really like mentioning the Shakespearean Festival in my posts too, because it boosts my stats. The Festival keeps close tabs on blogs that mention them.

Courtney said...

MBC: so you mean that the Shakespeare Festival might have seen my post about how they should hire Rupert Penry-Jones? Who knew. Must keep them in mind when I want my numbers to go up because I actually do love the Festival.

Denise said...

Wow, I did not know you could see things like that! I have a site meter but it is very simple and I got it for safety. Just in case I think some odd person is stalking me and planning on kid napping my kids :) My mind wanders so easily! Very cool, I might have to google leeks!!!

Courtney said...

I just checked and I have 2 new google searches: another Gillian Anderson--who knew she was so popular? and one for Interesting Love Facts--I did a blog about interesting facts and the word love is in my blog title.

Denise to do a search you need to go to http://blogsearch.google.com to do the search. Sometimes you can find me via a google search but not until the 40th page or so. If you do a search for leeks you need to select past week and then go to the 2nd page of results--I'm such a geek.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I'm such a doofus. I didn't even know you could do that. Give your next blog a really weird, racy title. That should bring the freaks out of the woodwork. :)

Natalie said...

hey I just tagged you. go to my blog for instructions! -cranat.

Courtney said...

Someone searched for leeks. Was that you Denise?