3.25.2008

Happy Easter (two days ago)

Really I should have posted this yesterday but I didn't have the pics that I wanted so it had to wait.

I hope that you all had a lovely Easter. I did. Although it did sneak up on me a little bit--okay a lot. Also I really found myself missing Easter in the UK where they gave me 3 weeks off of school and I traveled Europe in the same easy manner that people in Utah head down to Vegas or St. George for some warm weather. But since I am not in the UK and do not have 3 weeks to travel around and enjoy yummy European foods, the Easter I had was rather nice. We even had some lovely Easter weather. It may come as no surprise to you that my favorite part of Easter this year once again revolves around the food. In particular this cake:

It may not actually look like much but it was really, really very nice. I borrowed the recipe from Oh Happy Day and I think you will agree with me that it is really quite simple. The recipe for the lemon curd filling comes from Epicurious via Stephmodo (It doesn't say in the initial recipe but you do need to strain it after cooking). I think it is so cool that I made my own lemon curd from scratch. Now all I need to do is buy a lemon tree and I can grow the lemons as well. How cool would that be? This recipe is a definite keeper and I highly recommend it to you!

Another bit of fun I did was grow some grass for an Easter Dinner centerpiece and surprise, surprise it actually turned out really well (the second time around--had to scrap the first attempt. Only I could mess up growing grass). Here it is:

This idea comes from Design Mom (or at least came to me from Design Mom) and the result makes me smile so much every time I look at it that this will definitely become one of my rites of Spring. One of the metal buckets has even made it up to my room for permanent display.

Anyway, I rambled a bit. I hope you did have a really nice holiday.

7 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

If you grow wheat grass in your buckets you can blend it and drink it as like the most vitamin filled stuff ever. Love the buckets.

Courtney said...

I have heard about this whole blending wheat grass into drinks. What I have heard is pretty nasty. My sis is trying to get me to go to a local purveyor of wheat grasss and try a shot. The upside would be the vitamin bit though since I am horrible with getting my veggies in on a daily basis.

Jen said...

Love the grass idea. Next year for sure! And your cake looks divine! I'm a simple girl, give me some dark Cadbury mini eggs and I'm good!

Natalie said...

guess what? I tried growing grass in a very similar metal tin and I got nothing! So you aren't the only one. Maybe I should give it another shot.
:)

Janel said...

You did a really good job on everything, the food, candy, and the grass.

Denise said...

Your grass looks great! The shots are VERY nasty. If you do get a shot of wheat grass make sure you have a lot of water in your hand, you will need it! It is a lot of nutrients for just a little while of pain though. Let me know if you do a shot!

Your cake looks great. Maybe you can make it in Boston? I don't even dare attempt to male a cake like that! The house is spoiled with you cooking and baking for them.

Courtney said...

Jen--I just picked up some Cadbury Eggs 50% off!

Natalie give it another shot. I tried growing it with food-storage wheat and that didn't work so I went to Good Earth and bought a cup of wheat from their bulk food section and it worked like a charm.