3.18.2008

I'm Tired

I don't know what it is about today but I was really unhappy when it started this morning. Therefore, I don't really feel like blogging (it is only 8:15 am and already I want a nap--and I went to bed at 10pm last night. I hope I'm not getting sick). But I thought I would at least throw something up here so here it is the recipe I used for my farls of soda bread last night:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
salt (the recipe didn't specify how much so I used 1 teaspoon but I think it needed a bit more so next time I think I will try 1 1/2 teaspoons)

1. Preheat heavy based flat griddle or skillet on medium to low heat.
2. Place flour and salt in a bowl and sift in baking soda. Make a well in the center, and pour in the buttermilk.
3. Work quickly to mix into dough and knead very lightly on a well floured surface. Form into a flattened circle, about 1/2 inch thick and cut into quarters with a floured knife.
4. Sprinkle a little flour over the base of the hot pan and cook the farls for 6 to 8 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

I was really surprised how easy these were to make. Make sure that you flatten the circle to 1/2 inch and no thicker or else it won't cook right and will end up a little too dense (my mistake of last night). To eat I usually slice them in half lengthwise to toast them and then spread butter and/or jam on them. Honey is good as well. I used to have these (alone without all the other fried stuff) for breakfast on a cold Irish morning with some hot chocolate. Yum! I did take a picture of mine but I left my camera at home so here is a picture of some soda bread someone else took (just to give you an idea of what it should look like:

No comments: