3.06.2008

Saving the Planet

So if you having been lurking around Nemesis and MBC's blogs (a past time that I highly recommend) you have probably read a little bit about their concerns for our planet and our health covering subjects from eating locally-grown foods to storing/heating foods in glass not plastic. Well Nem and MBC have become my source for being a better person (I am too lazy to read the books that they read so I just wait for them to read them and talk about them--must work on that lazy thing) and so thanks to their persistence (and MBCs specific suggestion on how to get rid of my water bottle consumption) I have entered the world of Sigg. Here it is, my first Sigg bottle:


I purchased the "azure" one. It isn't my favorite design, but I love the colors so I went with it. These bottles are great because they are made with aluminum so they are entirely recyclable. Also since they are aluminum Sigg has created a special lining so that none (like 0%) of the aluminum leaches into the water. The lining also prevents the water from tasting like anything else than water. Can you tell that I am rather pleased with myself? Well I am and rightfully so. It isn't everyday that I save the planet, but I'm working on it.

8 comments:

MBC said...

Woo woo for you! I'm so impressed. I've been working on switching out my plastic ware, but I haven't replaced my plastic-leaching water bottles yet. Maybe for my birthday I'll get myself a Sigg and join the cool kids.

Courtney said...

MBC--come on over to the dark side--I mean cool side!

Denise said...

Very cool. I might have to buy one of those water bottles. I dropped my habit of bottled water(to save on our budget)and have been using the water bottles we have around the house. I would LOVE one of these. Sounds like they would keep your water cold longer as well. Do you think it would be good for running?

Good work saving the planet. I am taking baby steps but definitely feel like I am starting to do my share.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Next stop. Farmer's market.

We just put in a huge garden this week. (I'm married to Plantboy who is working currently as a water conservationist. If I don't do my bit, I'll probably get left for some cute hippie Oregon chick who doesn't shave and drives a biodiesel powered suburu.) I can hardly wait for a bit of harvesting. Hmm . . . I feel a post coming on, I did take pictures.

Courtney said...

Denise--these would be great for running (I think they even have sport designs with special sports tops that are good for stuff like running)

STM--I need to find a good Farmer's market around here. I tried the Thanksgiving Point one last year and was less than impressed. When I lived in Boston they had a great one where I could get anything from your regular fruits and veg. to some more exotic types to fresh fish, beef, pork, and even fresh breads. It was great. I've been thinking of gardening this year and am at the very least plant herbs. Looking forward to your garden posts.

Denise said...

I am going to plant a garden this year! If you know of any good books for beginners let me know! I hear Central Oregon is almost impossible to garden in but I want to give it a try. I can grow my own organic produce and save tons of money! We have an awesome farmer market in the summer...you should come visit and we could make a day of it. Seriously, I have spent a whole day at the farmers market! They have "learning stations" and children crafts and taste testing.

I just might buy one of the water bottles, I have checked out the website but will wait until after the Utah trip to spend money. Thanks.

Nemesis said...

Aw, thanks for the shout out! I must confess I still own the plastic chemical-leaking kind of water bottle. Sigh . . . there's always something . . . I love yours, though!

Courtney said...

Nem--you rock at the farmer's market thing so maybe it all kind of evens out.