5.05.2008

Weekend Round Up

Another really nice weekend is in the books. Sadly, like so many weekends, it went by way too fast. I kicked it off Friday evening by saving a few bees with my purchase of a pint of Häagen-Dazs ice cream. I was really impressed with all the flavor options and can't wait to try some more. This time I tried the cinnamon dulce de leche which was absolutely to die for (I think next time it will be pomegranate chip--doesn't that sound divine?). Trying out all the new flavors is a really great tradition in the making. When I was picking up my ice cream I also grabbed a copy of the movie Juno which I found interesting. A couple parts made me cringe a bit but the one-liners in the movie were great. I also really liked the soundtrack--I'd heard the soundtrack before and hated it but now in context of the movie I quite fancy several of the songs. After the movie I went to bed with my current book: Touching Darkness which was scary enough to require my sleeping with my bedside lamp on for much of the night (I know I"m a wuss but the dark seriously scares me and I unfortunately stopped reading for the night in a rather intense part of the book wherein "things" come in the night to attack. During the daylight hours I have no trouble seeing through this fear as silly but at night in the dark it is a whole different story--really I blame my fear on having spent the first 5 years of my life in the town that is supposed to be the most haunted town in America: Gettysburg. Plus the first 3 years of my life were actually spent living in a home reported to be haunted: the Humelbaugh House. Obviously I'm still scarred.)

Saturday started off really, really nicely with a couple of other new traditions. After getting up and getting ready for the day I walked over to my local grocery store bought some orange juice and a chocolate filled croissant (it was so good the it still makes me smile)--I figured if I walked to the store and back I deserved to be a little naughty with my breakfast meal. After finishing up breakfast and reading a couple chapters from Hungry Planet, I hit the library to read from a few general interest magazines (part of my become a better conversationalist goal). I really enjoyed my time there and was impressed and surprised by the magazines I picked up (but that is for a different post). After a bit of time at the library, I ran errands (why do these take so long?), did some reading (because obviously I can't handle reading at night right now), and then spent a lovely evening hanging out with one of my nieces.

Sunday involved sleeping in, looking over my nursery lesson one last time, doing some last minute work on our nursery craft and then heading off to church. My lesson went really quite well (considering they are 2 year olds) and for the most part all 10 of them sat through my 5 minute lesson--that felt like 20 minutes. The singing time person failed to show which forced me to lead the songs which consisted of "Itsy, Bitsy Spider," "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam," "5 Little Ducks," "Once there Was a Snowman," and "The Hokey Pokey." Obviously, I need to work on my 2-year old song repertoire. The evening was spent cooking and hanging out with family before going to bed with a book and some NPR Jazz.

1 comment:

goddessdivine said...

I admire you for teaching the nursery. I think that calling would kill me. I have to do sharing time now and again, and the jr primary has the attention span of a flea.

Dulce de lecha anything is WONDERFUL.