5.01.2008

Book Club

It has been a while since I have been a part of a book club and I didn't even realize until last night how much I have missed that kind of membership. Last night was my first time attending my ward's Relief Society book club and it was really nice. We read a book called Peace like a River which is a wonderful book that I probably never would have picked up--that is one of the joys of book clubs isn't it? reading something or some genre that you normally wouldn't. It is really a very nice book to get to discuss with a group of religious individuals as there were several different parallels to be made to Christ and lots of good topics such as mercy and turning the other cheek. Besides those good qualities, though, the book is incredibly well written. The language and the structure of the writing is very smooth and comfortable.

One of the best/funniest parts of the book club was when we were discussing what books to read in the coming month it was proposed that we read something by Shakespeare. At this mention one of the ladies pulled out her Utah Shakespearean Festival collectors edition brochure (the club meets at her house so she had it handy) and proceeded to pass it around so that we could all ooh and aah over how cute Michael Sharon is. Really, I kid you not. That is the reason it was passed around. Do you remember when I told you about the Relief Society crochet group? And how they are--well let's just say they are quite a bit older than me. Well this group (actually made of several of the same women) is of the same demographics. So there we were a group of women my mother's age and older and me getting a bit of man candy. It was priceless!

MBC, I hope you don't mind my mentioning to them that I know someone who hangs out with Michael in London and DC--you are so cool.

3 comments:

MBC said...

That's really funny, but not surprising. My roommate in London was 65 and a huge fan of Michael's.

Jen said...

Man candy with the old ladies...nice! That's really cool you guys have a book club. Good idea!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Awesome book. Desmama and I started our L**** book club with that book about 18 months ago. I think I'm going to recommend that my ward read it next year.