4.24.2008

No Gadgets--Nada

It was so much harder than I thought it would be to turn all my gadgets off and in some respects I did fail. For example, I did see the score for the Yankees' game while I was standing in line at Costa Vita and I did accidentally turn the car radio on when I was out running an errand (although all 9 of the stations that I flip through were running commercials at the time so I didn't get to listen to anything good--my radio must have realized that I wasn't supposed to be listening). But on the whole I think I did well enough to call it a success. While I did miss reading all my favorite blogs quite a bit, I would say the hardest thing was not watching TV. It wasn't hard because I thought I was missing out on some life-changing program but because I had told myself that I couldn't. I wanted what I couldn't have. I think this is a good exercise for me, though, and a good reminder that I can actually live without watching Eddie Cahill or Derek Jeter for a week without the world grinding to a halt. Sadly I wasn't feeling totally well yesterday so I spent most of the day moping around and reading rather than doing all those things I thought I would accomplish without all the little distractions. Having the silence was really nice, though--especially in the car. I found that I was a bit calmer and more clearheaded yesterday which was a nice reward. Now the next step is to incorporate all this into a new way of living my life. More on that later.

4 comments:

Jen said...

O.k so I failed in some respects. I answered the phone because it was my friends cell phone and it turns out her daughter was being carried away in an ambulance from school and she needed me. I thought it was o.k. then that I answered. I did good on the radio and computer (and that was hard knowing Jeff's e-mail was coming) but I did watch TV last night right before bed. The radio was really hard and like you, I didn't get a bunch accomplished like I thought I would. Good experience overall and I'm going to set some time limits for myself on the computer and am going to make sure I have more quiet time in my life. Thanks for the challenge! It was good!

Natalie said...

Wow, look at you go. I totally need to limit my tv and computer time, its bordering on obsessive. But luckily now that the weather is getting nicer I'm looking forward to spending more time outside and "unplugged". You did really well yesterday. I'm impressed!

Courtney said...

Jen, I totally forgot about Jeff's letter coming. I am impressed.

Janel said...

Good job! You did more than I could have.